Dr. Fuentes is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and joint replacement. He is highly trained in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder and knee, including rotator cuff repair and ACL reconstruction, as well as total hip and knee replacement and partial knee replacement. His compassion for his patients sets him apart as a surgeon. As Dr. Fuentes says,
“I like to treat patients as if they’re my relatives. I like them to feel empowered, to ask questions, and to be educated on their condition.”
Dr. Fuentes was born in Colombia, South America. He grew up and attended high school in Chicago, and then his family relocated back to Colombia. There he received his medical degree from the University of Cartagena. Dr. Fuentes completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Cook County Hospital and University of Illinois at Chicago, followed by a year of fellowship training in Sports Medicine at St. Francis Medical Center in Peoria, Illinois.
Today, Dr. Fuentes treats athletes of all ages in the community. He has served as the Football Team Physician for several local high schools, including Tinley Park High School (14 years), Lincoln Way West High School (4 years), and, presently, Brother Rice High School (since 2014). Dr. Fuentes also proudly served as Tournament Physician for the Illinois High School Association Individual Wrestling Finals for 19 years, between 1991 and 2013. In April 2011, Dr. Fuentes was named one of the “Top Docs for Jocks” by Chicago Magazine.
Fluent in both English and Spanish, Dr. Fuentes is able to communicate with and care for a wide patient demographic. This is essential to his practice, as his philosophy revolves around discussing treatment options with his patients and letting them ultimately choose their plan of care.
Dr. Fuentes is currently welcoming new patients in New Lenox, Joliet, and Palos Heights.
DR. FUENTES’ SPECIALTIES
- Fellowship, Sports Medicine, St. Francis Medical Center | Peoria, IL | 1990-1991
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago | Chicago, IL | 1989-1990
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Cook County Hospital | Chicago, IL | 1985-1989
- Residency, General Surgery, Louisiana State University | New Orleans, LA | 1983-1985
- M.D., University of Cartagena | Cartagena, Colombia | 1980 -1982
Certifications & licensure
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery | July 1993
- Team Physician, Brother Rice High School Football | 2014 – present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Illinois Orthopaedic Society